We take our seats,
The drinks are poured;
An exchange of glances,
And then it begins.
You speak first,
Offering your opening statements.
Sometimes I listen, sometimes I don’t.
Still you say your words.
Then it is my turn.
I offer my voice, my opinions, my ideas.
Sometimes you listen, sometimes you don’t.
Nonetheless I say my words.
These coffee shop conversations.
We fought our sides, held our ground, walked away in anger,
But this is where we were built.
We discussed soccer plays, travel plans, college goals.
These coffee shop conversations.
This is where I found my best friend.
He taught me to be a good person, fight the good fight.
His words gave me strength, courage, hope.
His lessons led my way and did not falter.
Here is where I found my father.
A man of mistakes, but not many.
In his eyes, his pride for his family glows.
And I love him more than he will ever know.
These coffee shop conversations.
You speak first,
So that I can listen.
These coffee shop conversations.
You speak first,
So that I do not forget.
These coffee shop conversations.
You speak first,
So that, one day, your words will become my words.
-- a gift for my father
No comments:
Post a Comment